Data Mining and VisualizationDrawing correct and fast conclusions from ever growing huge amounts of data is extremely important and data visualizations offer are invaluable tool to help. We have been part of many projects where great data visualizations have made the difference by quickly providing a rational basis for decisions (see also references). In several of these projects however, efficient data mining even created the crucial new opportunity for the solution of a problem.
The main advantages are
- Efficiency – vast amounts of data can be quickly represented and summarized Interactivity - visualization help to achieve deeper insight into the nature of a problem and discover new understandings
- Communication will be greatly improved by targeted visualizations that can create a common view of a problem or situation by aligning the perceptions of involved parties.
Services in Data Visualization
We are convinced that the biggest benefits of visual, interactive data mining is the exploration of datasets with not yet fully understood scientific background, like e.g. data from clinical trials in orphan diseases.
Especially when time is extremely valuable, e.g. in an Due Diligence Situation, fast and tailored visualization will make the difference. 4Pharma employees have experience from such projects on either side. The combination of our senior level statistical experience with fast data visualization capabilities gives us we are able to offer a highly exclusive service to support of Due Diligence operations.
Other examples for Data Visualization Services are
- Graphical reports (accessible e.g. via a secured web interface) that can be updated periodically or even in real time – to give you the status of your project on an instant.
- Pharmacovigilance support - still safety data is tabulated by statisticians and mined by medical advisors/doctors using paper based text marking and manual reasoning. Visual representation of Adverse Events, ECG reports, lab data charts or other more specific data are making DSMB meetings incredibly more effective.
- Weidemann et al., “The Heart in Friedreich Ataxia – Definition of Cardiomyopathy, Disease Severity and Correlation with Neurological Symptoms“, Circulation 2012.
- Klopstock et al. “A randomized placebo-controlled trial of idebenone in Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy“, Brain 2011.
- Meier et al., “Assessment of neurological efficacy of idebenone in pediatric patients with Friedreich Ataxia: data from a 6-month controlled study followed by a 12-month open label extension study“, J Neurol. 2012.
- Lagedrost et al., “Idebenone in Friedreich ataxia cardiomyopathy-results from a 6-month phase III study (IONIA)”, Am Heart J. 2011.